“SAMANTHA BROWN’S PLACES TO LOVE” RETURNS TO PBS ON FRIDAY, JANUARY 6
NEW YORK, NY, DECEMBER 12 2022 – Samantha Brown, host of PBS’s two-time Emmy winning series, “Samantha Brown’s Places to Love,” returns with the show’s sixth season starting airing on Friday, January 6 (check local listings for exact dates/times). More than just a travel expert, Samantha has been a trusted guide and friend to viewers for 20+ years, helping her audience choose their next destinations by revealing the people and stories behind the places she loves to visit. As travelers increasingly seek out sustainable travel experiences, this season Samantha highlights the people and places that are passionately committed to honoring and preserving their land, culture and proud traditions. The show also celebrates small business owners and artisan makers across seven domestic destinations and locations in Ireland, revealing new facets and faces of cities that viewers may think they already know. Season 6 of “Samantha Brown’s Places to Love” is sponsored by Holland America Line, AmaWaterways, AAA Travel, and Rocky Mountaineer.
“This season, I was inspired by the extraordinary stories, histories and traditions in the cities I visited, and the equally extraordinary people who honor the past but are also invested in the future success of their communities,” stated Samantha Brown. “As a traveler, I’ve always believed that the key to truly experiencing a destination is to venture beyond conventional tourist spots to explore the people, arts and design, food and drink, culture, and history of each city. This season, we amplify voices who share the richness of their own stories, making their homes some of my favorite places to love.”
The Season 6 premiere takes Samantha to Belfast, Ireland and the Antrim Coast where Billy, a charming cabbie, tours her around the city, sharing a true insider’s view on sites such as Queens University, chatting about Belfast native C.S. Lewis, and discussing what divides and unites us all at the Peace Wall. Samantha warms up with an artisanal hot chocolate at Daisies, and then learns about another facet of history at the Titanic Memorial, where Maureen McKinney, whose grandfather worked to build the famed vessel, talks about the community’s pride and great sorrow when the ship met its ultimate fate. From talking about Irish musical tradition in a local pub to indulging in high tea at a castle, Samantha showcases some of the attractions that make Belfast and Northern Ireland a joy to visit.
During Season 6, viewers will also join Samantha on journeys to -
- Cruise on the Inside Passage of Alaska: Samantha and her family set sail on an Holland America Line Alaska cruise, learning about the Alaskan Natives who have lived on their land and sustained their culture for close to ten thousand years through fishing, language, jewelry-making, and more.
- In Madison, Wisconsin, Samantha participates in a curling competition with Olympian Becca Hamilton, and heads to the University of Madison-Wisconsin to learn more about the “most archeologically rich campus” in the US. Along the way, Samantha visits her first supper club and gets her first taste of relish trays and Brandy Old Fashioneds.
- In St. Augustine, Samantha takes in the wonders of the region’s wildlife and eco-system as well as its history and landmarks that date back to the Spanish conquistadors.
- While in Big Sky, Samantha heads out to the Gallatin River to fly fish before hitting the slopes with Olympic skier Bode Miller.
- During her trip to Savannah, Samantha enjoys a “Girls Scouts’ Tea” at The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, a museum honoring the namesake founder of the Girl Scouts, and is joined by graduating Girl Scouts to discuss women’s empowerment and what being a part of the organization has meant to them.
- Beach hotels and vineyard wine tastings are part of Samantha’s California road trip, but she also pays a special visit to Barrio Logan, a thriving San Diego neighborhood composed of Mexican-American Chicanos, a place where the culture and flavor are a key part of the state’s identity. A highlight there includes stopping in at a sewing shop run and owned by a Chicana woman who opened during the pandemic and helped the neighborhood not just to survive, but thrive.
- In Chattanooga, Samantha keeps busy going rock climbing at High Point, attends authentic fish fry with a local chef and reconnects with friend Cory Lee, an inspirational world traveler and a man whose reliance on a wheelchair never diminishes his love of a journey.
- On the season finale, Samantha ventures to Limerick, Ireland to learn hurling, the 3,000-year-old Celtic sport, pops into a small, cottage perfumery in the Burren to learn more about the shop’s handmade, small batch products, learns sword play at King John’s Castle, and tries her hand at falconry and fishing at Adare Manor.
About Samantha Brown:
Known for her warm, engaging personality and her ability to convey the true character of the people and places she visits throughout the world, Samantha has been inspiring wanderlust since her television journey first began with Travel Channel’s “Great Hotels.” Since then, her career has taken her to over 250 cities in 74 countries and 44 of the United States, winning her two Emmys and multiple nominations in the process. A natural extension of her years on the road, in 2010, Samantha debuted her own stylish and practical luggage line on HSN, the Home Shopping Network. Designed from her travel expert’s perspective, blending style and utility, the line instantly became a top “customer pick” and was one of the most successful brand launches for the year. In 2019, Samantha and “Places to Love” were nominated for three Emmys, and won two, picking up awards in the categories of Outstanding Host for a Lifestyle, Children's or Special Class Program and Outstanding Travel and Adventure Program. “Places to Love” was also nominated for multiple Emmys in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
About Holland America Line
“Over the past year we’ve watched the world continue to open its doors and travelers set out on vacations, many sailing with Holland America Line on a bucket-list cruise. We are excited to showcase the beauty and splendors of Alaska in Samantha’s next season of ‘Places to Love’ as we support her passion for showcasing global destinations,” said Gus Antorcha, president of Holland America Line.
Join TV host and travel expert Samantha Brown on a Norway cruise aboard Rotterdam, our newest ship. Samantha will host lectures, a meet and greet, and a dinner with guests. Discover the history of the Vikings, kayak among breathtaking fjords, watch the changing of the guard at Oslo's Royal Palace and relax on deck while taking in spectacular scenery. The 7-Day Viking Saga cruise will take place August 19-26, 2023 (hollandamerica.com/samanthabrown)
Holland America Line, part of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE/LSE:CCL and NYSE:CUK), has been exploring the world for 150 years with expertly crafted itineraries, extraordinary service and genuine connections to each destination. Offering an ideal mid-sized ship experience, its fleet visits nearly 400 ports in 114 countries around the world and has shared the thrill of Alaska for 75 years — longer than any other cruise line. Holland America Line's 11 vessels feature a diverse range of enriching activities and amenities focused on destination immersion and personalized travel. The best live music at sea fills each evening at Music Walk, and dining venues feature exclusive selections from a Culinary Council of world-famous chefs.
“Today’s travelers are seeking meaningful experiences to connect in an authentic way with the people in the destinations they visit. We are proud of our continuing sponsorship of Places to Love as through Samantha’s masterful storytelling and genuine interest in the people behind the stories, she continues to inspire her audience to travel the world in the same thoughtful and compassionate way that we do.” said Kristin Karst, Executive Vice-President and Co-Founder of AmaWaterways.
Family-owned and operated for more than 20 years, AmaWaterways offers unparalleled river cruise experiences with 25 custom-designed ships sailing Europe’s Danube, Douro, Rhine, Moselle, Main, Rhône, Saône, Seine, Garonne and Dordogne Rivers, and Dutch and Belgian Waterways; Southeast Asia’s Mekong River; Africa’s Chobe River; Egypt’s Nile River and Colombia’s Magdalena River (2024). Co-founded and led by pioneering river cruise executives Rudi Schreiner and Kristin Karst, the company is renowned for its extraordinarily warm and welcoming crew; innovative and sustainable ship design; its wellness activities including a wide choice of included small group shore excursions featuring biking and hiking options; and its award-winning, locally sourced cuisine with complimentary fine wine. AmaWaterways leads the river cruise industry in innovation highlighted with the launch of the revolutionary AmaMagna, and the introduction of the history-making Seven River Journey itineraries. The company also offers a variety of themed sailings and brand relationships, with sailings geared towards active travelers and families as well as group and charter options. In addition, 20 ships in AmaWaterways’ European fleet have received the prestigious Green Award certification for industry-leading safety, quality and environmental performance.
“Families and friends are eager to spend time together and explore new destinations offering unique experiences as travel rebounds back to 2019 levels. We admire Samantha’s ability to introduce viewers to places and the people working to bring travelers a personalized travel experience,” said Paula Twidale, Sr. Vice President, AAA Travel.
AAA provides more than 63 million members with automotive, travel, insurance and financial services through its federation of 28 motor clubs and nearly 1,000 branch offices across North America. Since 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for safe mobility. Members can request roadside assistance, identify nearby gas prices, locate discounts, book travel including hotel, cruise and tour vacations or map a route via the AAA Mobile app. To join, visit AAA.com.
About Rocky Mountaineer:
“Travel and tourism bring many benefits, from broadening perspectives to nurturing meaningful connections between people and communities. We are pleased to support Samantha’s next season of ‘Places to Love’ as she shares authentic, memorable travel experiences with her viewers," said Nicole Ford, Vice President, Communications and Sustainability, Rocky Mountaineer.
Rocky Mountaineer offers luxury train journeys that showcase some of the most spectacular scenery North America has to offer. Rocky Mountaineer offers four rail routes: three that connect Vancouver to the Canadian Rockies towns of Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper in Western Canada; and a fourth route that travels between Denver, Colorado and Moab, Utah in the Southwest United States. It is a must-do travel experience that offers unparalleled journeys in its spacious glass-domed train coaches thanks to the incredible scenery, delicious cuisine, friendly service, and social atmosphere. Since it was founded in 1990, Rocky Mountaineer has welcomed more than two million guests and become the largest privately-owned premium tourist train in the world.